Pages

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Ancient history?

At the tender age of 77, Hank Reece has fulfilled a lifelong dream and become a university fresher, mixing with students almost 60 years his junior. While many men his age are ready to put their feet up, Hank decided it was time to expand his mind and embarked on a three-year degree course in archaeology and ancient history at the University of Leicester. The grandfather-of-three said: "I didn't think at my age I could go to university but I went to the open day and the tutors were so enthusiastic, there was no looking back."
Hank said: "When I walked in for my first lecture, I thought, 'What the hell am I doing here?' and some students asked me for information, thinking I was the lecturer. I am impressed with the students. With what you hear, I thought they were going to be bad-tempered or rowdy, but actually, they're really polite and friendly."

No comments:

Post a Comment