Monday, May 21, 2007

MySpace vs Facebook

Facebook logoUpdate: Facebook Visits up 106% Since Opening Up in September

This isn't an original observation. In fact, it would be best filed under blindingly obvious, except that I don't have a tag for that category. For the past couple of months, I've been experimenting with the social networking sites MySpace and Facebook.
I've been struck by how different they feel for two sites which are ostensibly so similar. One reason for this is the emphasis they place on linking. Facebook emphasises networks and institutions (I suspect that lots of people still don't realize that you can join now Facebook without being a current student) while MySpace place the emphasis on individuals as friends. One of the ways to do this is to join a regional rather than an institutional network (although of course, you can join both), something else which is missing from the individually-centered MySpace. At my advanced age, the more "grown-up" Facebook interface is also a lot easier on the brain than some MySpace pages - MySpace profiles really are toys that users seem to enjoy playing with - the triumph of style over content?
So I guess it's pretty clear that I prefer Facebook to MySpace. And I'm not the only one who feels that way. Google Trends shows what's going on with both sites, but doesn't reveal any clear differences between them:

Google Trends MySpace

Google Trends Facebook

So I guess it finally comes down to personal choice. What's yours?


  1. Facebook!!! I think facebook is so much better than myspace, it is alot more private and more organized.

  2. Facebook.
    Myspace is only better for bands etc, but I suspect Facebook could trump that card without too mush hassle if they wanted.