Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why do schools lag in technology?

David Puttnam In a thoughtful essay in the Education Guardian, David Puttnam, chair of education charity Futurelab, notes that children quick to grasp the joys of new technology and asks why are schools lagging so far behind?
At a recent digital education conference in San Francisco, one of the more memorable remarks quoted came from a child: "Whenever I go into class, I have to power down." That roughly translates as: "What I do with digital technology outside school - at home, in my own free time - is on a completely different level to what I'm able to do at school. Outside school, I'm using much more advanced skills, doing many more interesting things, operating in a far more sophisticated way. School takes little notice of this and seems not to care."

No comments:

Post a Comment