Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Plagiarism Policy for the iPod Generation

Plagiarism cupon
Controversial blog Rate Your Students is back from it's summer break, and one of the first posts is this rant about plagiarism:
  • I will explain to each class, in the early days of the term, exactly what plagiarism is and is not.
  • I will report any incident that looks the least bit suspect.
  • I will advise the student of his/her rights and responsibilities.
  • I will inform the student of my decision to seek the maximum sanction even for "first timers."
  • But I will not "discuss" the matter with any student, and I certainly will not discuss any student's records or suspected instances of plagiarism with any parents, friends, relatives, consultants, church officials, little league coaches, local low-rent politicians, or even the Dali Lama himself.
  • I will not hear excuses, including but not limited to: "my friend helped and she must have looked this up on the internet," "You said we didn't have to cite our sources," "I didn't understand the assignment," "I didn't know the person I paid to write my paper was going to plagiarize it," or any other attempt at weaseling one's way out of the sanction.
  • I will not shed a single tear for any student's pathetic cheating existence.
  • I will not mourn any student's absence in a course if that student is a cheater.
  • I will not feel sorry for any student who cheats, even if that student's father calls to me to explain that his daughter just signed a one-year lease on an apartment and she can't get out of it now, even though she has failed out of this college and will be taking classes elsewhere.
  • I will not have any student question my methods, my understanding of cheating, my grading policies, my principles, or my judgment.
  • I will not endure insults upon my character for any student's lack of morals or ethics.
Start as you mean to go on.

2 comments:

  1. Emily @ GradeGuruMay 16, 2008 10:02 am

    We detect a hint of cynicism in the title of this blog! Well, cynicism is usually a healthy thing. GradeGuru is a McGraw-Hill Education start-up. McGraw-hill is one of the world’s largest educational publishers. We are 100% against cheating of course. We understand that questions might be raised – is this another one of those essay-mill sites? Pay to get your coursework done for you? Absolutely not! In fact we have plans to tackle the plagiarism issue head on: we are working with a plagiarism detection service and are soon to release free materials on our site to help students ensure they use appropriate referencing in their academic work and understand where the boundary lies between collaboration and cheating – we don’t want to be patronizing, but better safe than sorry! If you have other suggestions, please do let us know – all constructive criticism welcome. We do believe students have the capacity to help each other and collectively improve learning outcomes. We expect GradeGuru to help facilitate that process, but we need to tread carefully and get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and again... see comments on SOTI posting Thursday, May 08, 2008 Cheats Charter? http://scienceoftheinvisible.blogspot.com/2008/05/cheats-charter.html

    ReplyDelete