Thursday, September 20, 2007

Why people stop blogging

blogging Brian Heys responded to a comment I left on his blog a few days ago with a reflective post on why people stop blogging.

My take on why people stop blogging is: because they have no reason to blog.

That's not as dumb as it sounds. When I started my first blog experiment a few years ago I did it because I felt that I should. I had suspicions that blogging could be a useful educational tool, but I was far from sure. So I blogged. It was hard work. I got no feedback. After a few months I stopped, because I had no reason to continue, and blogging is work. Hard work. Precious time when you could (and possibly should) be doing something else.

Around 18 months ago, I found a reason to blog. The initial impetus was a group project to promote a new course. The project was both inward looking and outward facing. It was a new (to me) approach to an old problem: bums on seats. I had found a reason to blog. I soon saw that the approach could be applied to other problems. Soon, I had three blogs, then four, currently five. I couldn't stop blogging.

Back in the day when I was a keen but not very good squash player, I "enjoyed" getting thrashed by better players then me (and hated occasionally losing to people who were not as good as me), because by enduring the humiliation, my game improved. When I started blogging again, I found I was being coached by people who were better bloggers than me. Better writers. Better thinkers. People who gave me more and more reasons to blog.

Now, not only can I not stop blogging, I can't stop encouraging other people to blog.

And having read this post, you're one of them :-)


  1. A blog having a definite, identifiable audience sure helps too. I you can come up with a post idea, then instantly know whether it is appropriate for a particular blog then you're on the right track.

  2. From the point of view of attracting a readership (and feed subscriptions), having a blog with an identity and a defined field of interest is important. This blog started out as "a bit of lots of things" but when I refocused it into my thoughts about education, the readership increased considerably.

  3. Blogging is not a child's play ,we want a correct view for that or it could be a worst.