Friday, November 23, 2007

I'm confused about CourseFeed

CourseFeed Logo Knowing how the readers of this blog feel about Blackboard (I'm looking at you Martin), I have to admit that I'm a bit confused about the Facebook CourseFeed application, which seemingly (I need to play with it a bit more), lets you access all your Blackboard (and Moodle?) courses thought Facebook - without ever logging onto the VLE.

CourseFeed Screenshot

On the one hand, this seems like a potentially good idea (e.g. for those banging on about walled gardens), but on the other, as I was ranting to GrĂ¡inne this morning,
Facebook is another matter, but I can’t see much educational value there anyway (beyond marketing) - for God’s sake leave students some social spaces without trying to stalk them and shove learning down their throats!


  1. Your rant about Facebook really made me laugh and echos my feelings, although I see it as the other way around - I don't want them stalking me. My students have just set up a Bebo group for themselves and you could see the collective sigh of relief when I said I did not want to be a member.

  2. Hi Alan. Is there a widget that puts Blackboard into iGoogle (I had a look and couldn't find one). That would seem like a better where of doing it rather than invading their social spaces. What do you think?

  3. No, I don't think so Stuart. This is the old argument about VLEs such as Blackboard being "walled gardens", but you're absolutely right that this would be a good solution.
    The best alternative I've found is that you can export RSS feeds generated by the Learning Objects CampusPack plugin for Blackboard, but this does not work for any of the static content on Blackboard.
    Frustrating, isn't it? (I'm wotking on the solution ;-)

  4. I look forward to the solution! Thanks for such a useful Blog - keep it up!