Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Information wants to be free

Harry I don't write about politics, religion (great quote from Jonathan Meades last night: A religion is a cult with an army) or royalty, so why am I writing about Henry Charles Albert David Windsor?

The fact that the Drudge Report broke the news that Price Harry was in Afghanistan is significant, signalling the end of the cosy embargo between the Ministry of Defence and the British media, and indicating once again that neither governments, monarchies, commercial publishers or universities can control digital information in the way they were able to lock down older forms of knowledge.

Information wants to be free. Information also wants to be expensive. That tension will not go away. Stewart Brand

Last week I was offered press credentials by PLoS, enabling me to recieve pre-publication information under embargo. My first instinct was to say no, but the fact that PLoS is open access made me accept (keep your eyes peeled over at MicrobiologyBytes :-)

By publicizing open access information, I can salve my conscience about becoming a media shill.

No comments:

Post a Comment