Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Too good to be true

Kompozer It was good while it lasted.

After a week I've hit the bandwidth limit (1GB a month) on the free trial account provided by Jing. While it is possible to upgrade to a paid account, this is rather pricey, especially considering Jing is still in beta. There are workarounds, such as saving a Flash .swf file, uploading it to a server, rolling your own embed code and then posting the whole thing, but this totally negates the point of Jing, which is "point and click" ease of use. I plan to continue using Jing for student feedback (Jing will save screen captures as .swf files which it's easy to upload into Blackboard), but there won't be any more Jing posts here, so I guess it's back to Snapz Pro X (or your favourite screen capture application) and YouTube for blogging. Sigh.

On a brighter note, I do seem to be making progress on the Ubuntu front, and this morning I installed Kompozer, which is a more advanced version of nvu, which frankly I had been struggling with (thanks for the tip Ray).


  1. I've just got Jing and was v excited and now am moderately excited. Can you give me an idea of how much video 1GB is? And if you are using it for feedback how do you plan to stay under the limit? Do you delete previous posting to free up space?

  2. It's the size of the Flash file multiplied by the number of downloads. My screen captures were 1-10MB, but it all depends how many people watch the videos :-(