Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Excuse Me

Glove I was walking to work when a woman walking along in front of me dropped a glove and carried on walking. To attract her attention, I called out "Excuse me!", but she carried on walking.

I called "Excuse me!" again. No response.

It wasn't until I yelled "HEY!" that she turned round.

So my question is this: what is the correct polite way of attracting a stranger's attention? The code of manners I grew up with is clearly broken.

Suggestions on a comment please to:

confused@science of the invisible


  1. She was probably wearing her iPod listening to one of your old podcasts

  2. That's a reasonable hypothesis Stuart, but when she stopped, she wasn't wearing an iPod, nor hearing-impaired, nor obviously intoxicated, so...

  3. Can't answer the question, but... have you read?
    Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door (Hardcover)
    by Lynne Truss

    Book's amusing and sad....

  4. After getting half way through Eats Shoots and Leaves, I decided that reading another of Ms. Truss's works would risk me having an embolism, so no.