I'm not able to do full justice to this morning's excellent BDRA presentation Using eportfolios and blogs as transition 'spaces' into and out of the University by Julie Hughes and Emma Purnell from the University of Wolverhampton, but it generated the following thoughts:
- Online Identities: Perhaps we should get students to consider this question: What does a Google search for your name reveal, and what would you like it to say about you?
- ePortfolios promote a dialogic, iterative approach to feedback (c.f. Bloom, mastery learning).
- ePortfolios can be a "store of assets" to be rebadged and repurposed for multiple audiences, and/or a reflective exercise.
- ePortfolio templates/exemplars are a good idea.
- Institutional funding input is not sustainable long term, ergo lifelong learning requires a strategy which extends beyond the institution.