Positive, I must be positive about Alan Mortiboys book, Teaching with Emotional Intelligence, so here's his advice on giving feedback:
- Start with the positive.
- Sandwich the negative between the positive.
- Confine your feedback to the amount the recipient can handle rather than the amount your would like to give.
- Make sure the feedback is something the recipient is in a position to act on.
- Make observations, not inferences.
- Be specific rather than generalizing.
- Leave the recipient feeling motivated.