Pages

Thursday, September 04, 2008

In The Zone



This is the last of my series of posts arising from Alan Mortiboys book, Teaching with Emotional Intelligence. In a short section from chapter 3, Mortiboys discusses "flow", and suggests that "flow" is the ideal learning state - so what the heck is "flow"?

Flow is the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. The idea is said to have been proposed (formalized?) by psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi.

If you were an athlete, you might call this concept "being in the zone". If you were an educational technologist, you might call it "the sweet spot". So I think I know what "flow" feels like. The snag is, for all it's plus points, I didn't find anything in Mortiboys book to take me there.

What does it for you?

Grainne Conole: Going with the flow