Pages

Friday, October 03, 2008

The bastard lovechild of Ann Widdecombe and Bill Oddie

Lovechild Walking to work this morning, a question popped into my head:
What software could best be described as the bastard lovechild of Ann Widdecombe and Bill Oddie?

I considered several possibilities, but it soon became clear to me that there could only be one answer:

Google Reader

Why? Consider what the unfortunate child would be like: fiercely clever, f-ugly and pretty unlikable. And that's exactly how I feel about Google Reader.

If this software were a TV presenter it would be Jeremy Clarkson: competent, but too clever by half, visually unappealing and not something you'd want to spend any time with.

And that's exactly how I feel about Google Reader, or Jeremy, as I plan on calling it from now on.

But if my beloved Bloglines keeps on dying at the present rate, I'll have to stare at Jeremy on a daily basis. So I'm looking for suggestions of alternative web-based RSS readers, (no desktop clients please). Anyone?