Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Groupthink update

Flow If you haven't already done so, before reading this, please read Groupthink.

I was brooding about this yesterday evening when I read Doug Belshaw's post Flow and the Autotelic Classroom. I'm skeptical when it comes to emotional intelligence, and although I occasionally recognize something which feels to me like flow, most of what has been written on the subject is just a statement of the bleedin' obvious.

Having said that, one thing in Doug's post struck me as relevant to my problem - the desirability of moving learners from being externally driven (which our final year students undoubtedly are) to being internally driven.

So the only problem is how to do that :-)

I'm not convinced that the four recommendations are easily applicable to my final year group:
  1. Setting goals
  2. Becoming immersed in the activity
  3. Paying attention to what is happening
  4. Learning to enjoy immediate experience
Um, more groupthink, anyone?