Saturday, March 14, 2009

P'd-off today

Pi Day Maths nerds and anyone else who didn't get out of the way fast enough will know that today is Pi day. Specifically, 1.59 am this morning was Pi time (3.14159... geddit?).

I'm not happy about this, because as far as I'm concerned the 22nd of July is Pi day (22/7). It's been said that nerds celebrate Pi day on the 14th of March, and engineers celebrate it on 22nd July (because that's close enough).

So why am I writing this trivial post? Because it follows on from something I've been think about since our meeting yesterday (and will be blogging about later). March 14th is a futile (I might say, irrational, if I was in a punning mood) attempt at precision. July 22nd says much more, encompassing what Pi actually is - the ratio of the circumference of a circle to it's diameter.