Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Delayed gratification

For the last few weeks I've been trying to force myself to slog though some of the components that our students used in their PLEs before Christmas, and the ePortfolios they built after Christmas, looking for evidence of ongoing usage. It sooo boring that I do anything to avoid this tedious data scraping, but because of permissions and confidentiality there's no way to automate the task.

The picture that's emerging isn't pretty, and it isn't surprising. The vast majority of students used these tools because we made them. Then they stopped. I'm prepared for everyone to say this is all my fault, that I didn't present the tools in the right way, that assessing reflection is a bad idea, that I'm a poor teacher. Maybe, but I also think this data reflects the fact that delayed gratification is a tough sell in education these days. Which is a shame: