Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What's the catch?

> Dear Sir,
> I found your Short Communication Podcasting is Dead. Long Live Video!
> most interesting giving helpful ideas for my own project - to create
> videocasts or screencasts about the basics of materials science. The
> paper gave me many good answers to questions like can I use some kind
> of puppet or is it too condescending. I also visited web page where
> your videos are, It seems that your idea about useful video for
> education is similar compared to ideas I have been thinking.
> There is one thing which concerns me quite a lot. Here I would like to
> cite your paper. Although seemingly effortless, the production of
> successful online videos is a highly-skilled process, requiring an
> understanding of user psychology and behavior, which is quite
> different from that of television viewing? I guess here you hit the
> point. I can apply a wide variety of pedagogical models and
> technological gadgets, but if the students don't find the result
> catchy, all my efforts are more or less in vain. While reading your
> paper I got the feeling that you have struggled with this problem
> quite a lot. So I would like to make a question: How to make catchy
> videocast for education? I am not expecting comprehensive answer but
> all ideas, hints, links or names of interesting articles and books are
> most welcome.
> I think the key element is something I would like to call the rhythm
> of the video, but what is the proper rhythm for 18-20 years old
> students.

I think there are many different answers to your question. Much depends on
who the video is intended for, but in my opinion, a good video should
reflect your own persona - in that way it is more likely to assume our
authentic voice and more likely to be effective.

I would experiment with a range of styles and techniques and find which work
best for you.

Dr Alan J. Cann, Department of Biology,
Adrian Building, University of Leicester,
University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK.