Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Makers

Makers One of the presents I treated myself to at Christmas was Cory Doctorow's Makers, which I've just finished, and overall, enjoyed. In Makers, Doctorow uses fiction to discuss themes such as small is beautiful, blogger as hero (blogger also makes lots of money - dream on Corey!), and to return to his obsession with Disney. (Quite how he's managed to avoid being sued is a mystery to me.)

This isn't a work of great literary merit. The characters are ciphers for ideas, avatar thumbnails representing the themes of high geekery Doctorow wants to discuss. I guess blogging doesn't help you much with characterization. For me though, it was an entertaining and surprisingly compelling read, and I certainly intend to read Doctorow's other novel, Little Brother. You're reading this, ergo, you're probably a big enough geek to enjoy Makers. You probably should read it.

Related: