Monday, February 01, 2010

Friendfolios in action

I've written previously about our concept of reflective Friendfolios based on the social network Friendfeed. And now it's happening. For the past week, I've tried to find ways of sharing examples of the work being done by the students, but I have not been able to do this for confidentiality reasons related to the way the Friendfeed site works. So while I can't share any examples with you, I can share the analysis of the first week.

In one week, 140 students (so far) have produced 1542 interactions, including 347 Friendfeed "Likes" and 1195 comments ranging from a single word to several hundred words. In all, they've written over 20,000 words on topics including shared links, housekeeping and deeply personal reflections:
The Friday Reflection: At 6pm on Friday evening I posted the following video:

We've had about 50 responses so far, posted at all times of day and night - nearly 24/7. And what do the students think of the site? One called it Fakebook. Let's hope it's as sticky as Facebook over the next few months.