Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Let's play!

BuddyPress It's been a long time since I sat down and read an instruction manual cover to cover.

OK, I have never read an instruction manual cover to cover. This is partly due to the fact that I have a Y chromosome, but recently, it has a lot more to do with Web 2.0, the ethos of which says, If you need a training course, it ain't Web 2.0. So how do we learn Web 2.0? We tinker, or as I prefer to think of it, play. I haven't spent millions of years evolving play as the most significant learning mechanism in my lifespan to start reading instruction manuals now!

So when I want to learn how to use a new tool, I like to play with it. Which is fine, except that if it's a social tool, I need some friends to play with (which is where you come in). I'm trying to get my head around BuddyPress, the flavour of WordPress sometimes described as Facebook in a box. With the recent release of BuddyPress 1.2, the time to play is now.

So I've set up an account on the BuddyPress test site (it's all free - it's open source you see :-) and I'm asking you to be my friend. Let's kick the tyres and poke about under the bonnet to see what this thing can do for us.