Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Religion

Religion Thought for the Day on BBC Radio 4 this morning peddled the myth of Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants. If you missed it, I'm sure it's languishing on a website somewhere.

When I was a student, we were subjected to the ministrations of a chaplain we referred to, affectionately I hope, as Rick the Vic. In those distant Young Ones days, I didn't know if Rick actively partook of the ganja, but I wouldn't have been surprised, because it was certainly the impression he liked to give. And yet theologically, Rick was as hardline as they come. For Rick, everyone was in hermetically-sealed, immutable boxes. Taliban in one, Digital Natives in another. Rick would have loved Thought for the Day this morning, as clearly Radio Rick did.

Where it it all go wrong?

Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants (Marc Prensky)