Pages

Monday, March 01, 2010

Derek Bok

Derek Bok In 2000 I was asked to give a plenary talk on microbiology education to the Australian Society for Microbiology about this new-fangled internet thing. I did, and as a concluding slide while I wittered to a gradual halt, I put up what has since become the strapline of this blog (ha, that'll sort the RSS subscribers out :-)

At the time, it was an original, though possibly not very, statement, but several years later someone said to me that that it was a quotation. In spite of searching, I couldn't find the source, but Steve Wheeler's post this morning finally led me to it's origin - Derek Bok.

Except that it didn't. I've never heard of Derek Bok before, and his famous quote is similar but not identical to my strapline. Now since Derek has date priority on me, I might have some difficultly in trademarking my strapline. Which is fine, because I don't want to. It's just a case of great minds thinking alike.