Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Short Writing Bursts: The Freedom to Write Less

Screenshot A link in my delicious feed pointed me at this post a couple of days ago. I've written about this before (see links below), but microchunking isn't compatible with scheduling, so I've slipped back into the old ways of timetabling largish (1-2 hour) writing sessions.

My present situation is that I have so many things to write about from so many divergent areas that I'm having a hard time, (a) writing enough, (b) flitting from one mindset to another required by the different topics. So over the last couple of days I've tried the short (15 minute block) technique (without the blocking software, but turning off desktop notifiers and other obvious distractions) as a way to increase productivity, but also to allow me to span the wide range of topics I'm trying to think about. And it has worked. But this is partly due to novelty, and that over time much if not all of the impact will be lost. So maybe at that point I need to switch back to larger chunks of writing.

What I need then is a meter recording how much I write each day. Assuming that the quality is relatively constant, this could be a motivation. Snag is, I don't write in one place or in one style, but in many. Forget the meter, I need a writing dashboard.

Related: