Pages

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The Case Against Links

Links At ReadWriteWeb, Marshall Kirkpatrick wrote an interesting piece on "The Case Against Links". The gist of the argument is that in-text hyperlinks are good for machines but bad for the brain, distracting attention. The suggested solution is to place links as footnotes at the end of the document.

Instinctively, this sort-of feels wrong to me, fighting against the architecture of online writing. However, I can't argue against evidence which shows the increasing problem with getting students to read notes I place on the VLE, rather than trying to skip directly to the assessment. I've already drastically reduced the number of words in my VLE notes, but this has not been very effective. So maybe I will try restructuring the notes with the links at the end. Seems I have nothing to lose.

Links: