Monday, July 26, 2010

Crowdsourcing #solo10

solo10 I've been invited to moderate a session at solo10. The theme will be science education, and the title of the session ... well, that's why I'm writing this post - I'm hoping you'll help with that. My tentative title is:
Students in the sandbox - developing professionals

It seems unavoidable that I'll witter about Friendfeed and Facebook, since they seem to have taken over my life, but this session needs to be more than that. We'll need to touch on all of the usual social network issues, such as focusing and defocusing attention, openness versus privacy, and object-centered sociality, but I would like to go well beyond generic discussion.

Ideally, I'm aiming at a crossover of some of the best ideas in education which may not be familiar to scientists or those responsible for educating them. Martin Weller's pedagogy of abundance might sneak in, although ideas around dealing with abundance won't be particularly new to this audience. Graham Attwell's Vygotsky-ZPD riff is a possibility, as is Terry Anderson's connectivism. Other themes I'd like to develop include how to move towards agility in science education, disambiguation (garage biotech) and economic/energy descent pathways.

And now it's over to you. What do scientists need to think about in terms of science education?

Suggestions from the comments:

Graham Attwell:
- Student motivation/engagement
- Reflection
- What does the internet of machines means for science education?
- Can we envisage the 'citizen scientist'?