Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

How many mes?

WTF? Recently Twitter risked a rent in the timespace continuum by suggesting I follow myself. Well that's how it looked, but the truth is a bit more complicated. Twitter picked up on one of my other identities and suggested it back to me.

I've regularly made attempts to filter various social networks by setting up alternative identities, all clearly labeled as different varieties of me. For the most part, this has been for teaching purposes, where I felt students would be put off by the volume coming from my regular account. However, in spite of tools such as Hootsuite, and Tweetdeck (currently my preferred Twitter/Facebook client) experience across many networks has taught me that the maximum number of identities I can effectively maintain on a single service is: two.

Of course, YMMV, and I don't know how personal this limit is, but I'd be interested to hear your experiences of managing multiple online identities.


Related: