Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

M

500000000 On Friday, people started to get excited over who my 1000th Twitter follower would be (and what I would do to them). I wasn't, mostly because it was odds-on that it would be a spammer, but also because churn means my follower numbers bounce around, and I don't count 1000 until I'm well over.

I still block and report Twitter spammers manually, which is a pain, and if you don't then you're a poor citizen who is not helping to curate this community. Over the weekend, I cracked the 1000 "barrier" several times, but scum removal meant that I also kept going backwards. Actually, I don't mind people marketing themselves or products in Twitter, just don't get in my way or expect to ride on my back.

And do I care? Yes. Not for narcissistic reasons, but having a thousand pairs of eyes fact checking, commenting on and improving what I write, and being available to answer my question is powerful - much more than I ever imagined it could be when I first started using Twitter. If you made the cut, I thank each and every one of you.