Pages

Sunday, September 05, 2010

So, you finally went and done it

I have taken the plunge and bought a Mac ... now what? I have MS Office (so I can transition from PC), and iWork and am about to get iLife, so ... what else do I need to do some of the things you are doing?

In addition to the software you mentioned, which are important, I'd be lost without the following (Google 'em):
  • Adobe CS5, especially Dreamweaver, Photoshop - ouch, expensive.
  • BBEdit - my standard text workhorse, extremely powerful (grep, etc).
  • Chrome - Mac version is still rough around the edges but improving. I need multiple browsers to manage my various online personas, so I drop into Chrome occasionally. It's my primary browser on Windoze and Linux.
  • Firefox - my secondary browser.
  • Mendeley - I tend to prefer CiteULike (http://www.citeulike.org/user/AJCann), but I use Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/aj-cann/) for some projects (e.g. http://www.mendeley.com/research-papers/collections/3542751/Pollination/) and it's improving rapidly with some nice collaborative features coming soon (they didn't pay me to say that, not even a T shirt!)
  • Safari - my primary browser.
  • Skitch - great image capture, annotation and publication application - as in this example.
  • Skype - especially video conferencing and screen sharing.
  • Synchronize! Pro X - my primary backup Gizmo. You'd probably be better off skipping this one and grokking Time Capsule, but I'm a luddite at heart.
  • Tweetdeck (for which you'll need to install Adobe Air first) - I've fallen in love with the new version of Tweetdeck for Twitter and Facebook.
Everything else I do is web based, e.g. Google Suite, Dropbox, CiteULike, etc. Have fun!