Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

What is occurring

AoBBlog Alun wrote a very nice piece yesterday which is effectively a mission statement for what we are trying to achieve with AoBBlog. He concluded by saying:

... loss of control makes measuring success difficult, so I can see why the idea of owning a community is attractive for a commercial enterprise. Effectively you have a free workforce pushing your branding and an easy way to measure if it’s working. But that’s not the way science works. Very few people publish exclusively in one journal. Even if it were possible, I don’t think dominating a niche would be healthy for a journal. Still, I think the idea of a blog participating in a community works. I think the key point is you can’t have a community of one.
Although I would admit to being the origin of the ideas we are trying to put into practice, it's Alun who is doing all the hard work and the project would not exist in it's present form without him (and the foresighted support of AoB), so it's fitting that Alun should have put into words what I have not been able to fully articulate.