Saturday, January 01, 2011

Currently reading on the iPhone

Stanza Over the holiday I've been slowly working my way though a big pile of books - about half fiction and half candidates for SciReadr. But in addition, I've also been reading several eBooks.

I recently wrote that I liked the Stanza eBook application on the iPhone. I still do. If you told me before I bought the phone that I'd enjoy reading books on it, I'd have said you were mad. This shows why "experts" need to be practitioners and not just theorists :-) The secret is in the choice of book. Short formats work best. I currently have:

1. Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland. Comes as a free demo with Stanza. I've kept this for demonstration purposes (it has pictures ;-)

2. Cory Doctrow's With a Little Help. 12 short stories, ideally suited to the iPhone. Don't claim to be a geek unless you've read Epoch. Kept me entertained while I waited for an hour for Tron Legacy to start.

3. Gilbert White's The Natural History of Selborne. I've never read this although I've been meaning to for years. the diary format is again well suited to the iPhone.

Now I'm really looking forward to the iPad2 with the improved display resolution :-)