Sunday, March 20, 2011

Preserving Video

Technology evolves, and over the next few weeks several items of the kit I use is due to be upgraded. In the process of planning this, I realized that it would no longer be possible (or possibly, no longer be easily possible) to connect my ancient video handycam to a computer. This set off a train of thought about the content stored in that format. Our children growing up, dead parents, dead pets, lives on tape. Lots of stuff I want to preserve. The question is, how?

I'm currently in the process of digitizing all the old tapes before my ability to do so is degraded by new computer purchases. But what to do with it then? What format is currently most future proof? Have you faced this issue, and if so, what solution did you come up with?


  1. Fergus GallagherMarch 20, 2011 6:27 pm

    My solution is a RAID disk array which can be upgraded slowly over time. Expensive and time-consuming with video because of the sheer volume of data.

  2. I'm not doing it with video but with old slides, colour and black and white negatives.The storage "target" for this is just my current working environment; although there's a lot of stuff, the volume is not huge for stills.

    My current beef is how bad I (and my services, eg film developers etc) were with metadata. Dozens and dozens of envelopes with negatives or a few prints and no information at all, not even a date scrawled on. If the developer had routinely date stamped each envelope, it would be so much easier. I've had to build a timeline, and look for clues: ah, there's a MGB at a camping ground, so it must be the trip I made to the Flinders in 1973...