Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Choices, choices

Samsung N120 Over the past week I've done most of my "computing" (Internet access really) on four devices, giving me a good opportunity to compare them:

iPhone: I love my iPhone. It's the best phone I've ever owned. Battery life is good. But it's not a computer and I'm severly limited as to what I can do on it (teenagers can do far more :-)

iPad: I love my iPad. Battery life is superb. I've downloaded loads of free books and enjoyed reading them via iBooks or Stanza (but I still prefer print for recreational reading). I'm still quite limited as to what I can do on the iPad, and in the thick and fast of sessions at ALT-C or when Skyping to Birmingham, it couldn't compete with:

Samsung N120 note book: I love my N120. It's the best laptop I've ever owned. The batter life is superb. In spite of Windoze XP, I can do most of what I need to do on this machine. It's my roadwarrior workhorse.

Macintosh Air: I'm jealous of my son's new Mac Air. (Whisper it soft: I quite like OS X Lion - especially the gestures). OS X is superb - I can do everything I need to do on this machine. But the battery life sucks, even with everything non-essential turned off.

And The Winner Is: Samsung N120. I wouldn't buy an Air. It's overpriced and compromised by the poor battery life. The next generation will be better, as the convergence between netbooks and tablets continues. It's been an interesting week.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read this - was talking to a friend last night & she was very keen on an iPad - having already got a smart phone (Android), Netbook & v. lightweight laptop (though not Mac)