Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

As I desperately pedal faster to try to keep up with @jobadge on the PGCE, I stumbled across Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck.

Mindset is about the contrast between "fixed" and "growth" mindsets. Note - only two, no continuum, no shades of grey. While accepting that this is intended to be a "popular" book (and that Dweck has published a body of formal work), this is poorly written - the cod vernacular gets in the way, with double negatives, etc.

I'm not going to mention the sickening P.R. "my students begged me to write this book", so hurrah for R.A. Cooper:
"You probably don't need to buy the book - it's mostly pop-psych waffle ... You know you're in la-la land when the author starts selling you a 'Brainology' program."


  1. Looked at the book and it isn't great, the research summary I read was better! I sympathise with your skepticism but I liked the idea of encouraging effort and failure - like the 10,000 hours genius theory. I guess I am still at the point of being an optimistic teacher with the ability to encourage children to excel :-)

  2. 10,000 hours is completely bogus as well - Gladwell stacks the evidence: