Tuesday, November 15, 2011

In Which Our Hero Convinces Reluctant Academics By Contextualizing Within Local Communities

Strategy Last week our Board of Studies received the final report on a Strategic Review of Teaching conducted over the past few months. As far as I know this is not a public document so I'm not free to discuss it in detail, but I'll push my luck with my own highly personal interpretation:
We do a good job, but we may need to get leaner, and we certainly need to get smarter.
The practical outcome is a set of five action points to work on over the next few months, for implementation as soon as possible. I've been asked to take the lead on two of these:
  • Statistics teaching (this one's been running for a while)
  • Training issues around novel teaching

Leaner and smarter doesn't just mean doing new stuff, it also means stopping doing old stuff in some cases - which is much harder.

For the past week or so I've been chewing over Cameron Neylon's post about promoting change:

Working with small scale use cases, within communities is the way to get started. Build for those communities and they will become your best advocates, but don’t try to push the rate of growth, let it happen at the right rate (whatever that might be – and I don’t really know how to tell to be honest).

I'm going to try to put this philosophy into practice as much (and as local) as possible in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment