Wednesday, February 15, 2012


Pushback I was interested to read that Michael Wesch, noted for embracing innovative teaching methods, has allegedly rethought his approach to teaching in higher education (A Tech-Happy Professor Reboots After Hearing His Teaching Advice Isn't Working).

I teach in a highly traditional science program, where the majority of student contact hours are spent in serried ranks in lecture theatres neuroxing the PowerPoint slides. That's what our students learn to respond to, and faced with an environment less tightly constrained by assessment, they don't respond (see: Trying to help).

In view of the lack of engagement, I'm thinking of going back to lectures on the module next year. The detailed lecture notes on the VLE will be replaced with skeleton PowerPoints. Clearly putting content for passive absorption on the VLE is the enemy of learning. By rationing access to my time I am hoping to refocus attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment