Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Micropedagogy and Macropedagogy

Caption competition You know it's a good meeting when you run out of cognitive space before the coffee arrives...

I'm still batting around ideas from the #heanpl meeting in Oxford last week. I have a somewhat random collection of thoughts which occurred to me during the day that I'm slowly working my way through.

The attendees at this meeting represented a wide range of sometimes but not always overlapping interests. It seems to me at it is sometimes helpful to break the umbrella concept of pedagogy (the theory and practice of teaching) into smaller parts:
  • Macropedagogy: the part of pedagogy concerned with large-scale or general factors such as theories and philosophies of learning, such as behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism, etc.
  • Micropedagogy: the part of pedagogy concerned with discrete data and the outcomes for individuals, such as learning analytics, feedback, etc.
I'm very much in the micropedagogy camp, but the Visitors and Residents concept is interesting to me because it seems to span both parts of the pedagogy divide.



Another thought which occurred during the day was about the overlap between the idea and attributes of Visitors and Residents, and bridging and bonding capital as discussed by Robert Putnam in Bowling Alone. Although Dave is keen to stress that the terms are descriptive and neither visitors or residents are superior to the other, it seems to me that residency is inherently analogous to bonding capital, while visiting is linked to the lightweight (or agile, if you prefer) behavior represented by bridging capital.



Finally, a remark from Dave Cormier:
Community is the curriculum?

quickly mutated into "the Community is the curriculum". As this discussion progressed, there was some usage of the term Resident to describe activity offline. While I understand the point being made, I am personally unhappy with the use of the term in this way because it muddies the water and reduces the value of the concept.




You know it's a good meeting when you're still blogging about it a week later :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment