Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Maybe the sky really is falling

Chicken Little
In the coming decade, emerging technologies will thoroughly transform higher education. Although distance learning and computer-assisted education have been around since the 1960s, financial pressures are forcing institutions to develop aggressive online programs.
College Crackup and the Online Future. Bloomberg. Web. 23 May 2012.


I've been pretty sceptical of the apocalyptic "end of higher education" stories being published in the US for the past couple of years, although when you read the catalog of woe in this Bloomberg series (the above is the final in a three part series), you might begin to doubt that view.

What's changed my mind is the way we in the UK seem impelled to import the American way of doing things, particularly American crises, and particularly under this government. There's no sign that that will change, so maybe the sky really is falling.

For years I have clung to my academic status and fought off well-meaning suggestions that I was a "learning technologist". I have a feeling the time may have come to make that change.




No comments:

Post a Comment