Sunday, May 20, 2012

Rethinking facebook, and the value of open

The last week has been difficult and stressful for me, with more such weeks and months ahead. I cannot discuss this publicly at present, so I have tried as far as possible to put the problems out of my mind. It turns out that is not possible. In the course of the week, my small (I'm a long way off Dunbar's number) private network on facebook has unexpectedly played an important role. Unexpected because for the last few years I have found far more value in open public discussion here and on other networks than in private in groups.

The support of a small private community has forced me to rethink my attitudes over the last week. I am forced to recognize the value of privacy alongside the value of openness. Both have a role to play, and I have redressed my personal balance. I owe them a debt I hope I am able to repay.

I am under no illusion that this post is not a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but personal experience is always the strongest motivation.


  1. :-) Sometimes private is better.

  2. In that case, what is the role of public identity and discussion? Is it just a shop window to get you your next job, an extended c.v. ?