Thursday, May 17, 2012

Should I stay or should I go?

Oh how I love Flickr - sometimes Gizmodo just published a nice article:
How Yahoo Killed Flickr and Lost the Internet.

I've got a large(ish) collection of Creative Commons images on Flickr, and for some time I've been wondering whether to renew my account when it expires in September, or move elsewhere. Moving will be a major logistic exercise, but do I really trust in the longevity of Yahoo and do nothing?

Recently, it seems as though the site has got a little better again, cleaner and faster. And what is the alternative - is there anything else out there that will serve me as well as Flickr has done over the years?

Update: As ever, useful discussion on Google+

1 comment:

  1. I still use Flickr whenever I need a photographic image (especially creative commons ones for cleared use) - I certainly haven't found any reliably good alternatives, nor needed too.