Sunday, June 03, 2012

Effective Group Work

Venn diagrams Alex is just back from the HEA Arts and Humanities conference 2012 and among the nuggets I gleaned from his writeup was this:
all group-produced material was assessed formatively, by peers; only individual (reflective) material was assessed summatively – thus removing the usual complaints that some group members weren’t pulling their weight.
I have constantly struggled to get group work to be worth the trouble it causes. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think that group work is unimportant, but if it's not assessed they don't do it, and if it is, all the bickering takes so much of mine and their time that it's better not to bother. I like this halfway house approach, allowing the freeloaders to miss out on formative assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment