Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Plum Analytics dodgy data

A tweet from Martin last night alerted me to the fact that I featured in Plum Analytics recent presentation (skip to 8:10):

The problem with this approach is that it seems to be based on impact factor, comparing my ancient and outdated HIV papers in high impact factor biology journals with recent and topical work published in channels where comparable metrics do not exist. This is a flawed approach to altmetrics, but what it does clarify is that "impact" really has no meaning, beyond being a buzzword for marketeers.

I'm happy to feature in Plum Analytics PR material without being informed. If they would like to correct their flawed approach to altmetrics and improve their product, I'd be happy to work with them on a consultancy basis.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting - so they're trying to milk the NEWNEW AltMetrics! with inapt examples - doubtless for profit?