Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Refections on #ST101 - second week

Introduction to Statistics (ST101) I plan to post occasional reflections on ST101 here as the course progresses.

Tough week! Two reasons, first because I've had a very busy week with little free time, second because #ST101 lurched into a much more difficult area - mathematical probability rather than data visualization. Reflecting on the course weekly is helping to keep me on track.

I've failed to get my head around Bayesian probability previously, and after this unit I now feel I have a better understanding of what it's all about, if not the practicalities - I'm still in deep trouble with the maths. Coming at statistics from a primarily visual angle rather than from a mathematical direction, Bayes' Theorem is at the limit of what I would consider to be statistics - it's pretty straight algebra. I know of course that most statisticians (who are mathematicians) don't see it like that.

Interesting how the characteristics of the teacher become irritating very rapidly as the learner starts to struggle. An argument for blandness?

Although I'm still enjoying ST101 in what has been a challenging week, I'm also starting to think about how engaged I am with the course, and to what extent exterior drivers are keeping me going. To what extent that resembles/differs from a conventional course, I'm not sure.
 




1 comment:

  1. Oh how do I recognize that after I was confronted with last week's problems...

    "Interesting how the characteristics of the teacher become irritating very rapidly as the learner starts to struggle. An argument for blandness?"

    It finally showed me I just need more training in Bayes' Theorem. All in all an exciting week at Udacity's St101 course

    ReplyDelete