Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Why does commenting suck?

Google Captcha In response to repeated complaints for readers of this blog, I changed the comments settings here yesterday, removing the anti-spam captcha. Immediately (within minutes), there was an upsurge in machine-generated spam comments. I'm currently figuring out the best way to deal with this and whether I can feasibly leave the captcha off. (Lack of the Akismet spam filter is one of the few ways Blogger still lags behind WordPress currently.)

I have always attributed comment spam to simple commercial motives, but interesting remarks by Clay Shirky reported by David Weinberger have made me think again about the motivations behind "spam".




2 comments:

  1. Maybe a good enough reason to migrate the blog to a WordPress hosted environment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already run several WordPress blogs and have done for the last five years. Overall these days I have to say I prefer Blogger. Having said that, this post is more about the psychology behind commenting than the technical nuts and bolts.

    ReplyDelete