Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Open Access and The Dispossessed

The Dispossessed My intended holiday reading got blown off-course a little this year, but as part of my on-going search for non-dystopian science fiction, I did manage to finish The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin.

And very enjoyable it was too, classic SF - I am the creator of worlds stuff. But even though it was published in 1974, there is another way to read this book - as a parable about Open Access and the motivations various people have for restricting the availability of information. I'm happy to recommend Ursula Le Guin to SF fans, but I also recommend this book as a moral fable for all academics.




2 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of books by Le Guin and enjoyed them. Now you piqued my curiosity -- and I just found a freely available version of "The Dispossessed" so will certainly read it with interest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link. I'm not sure how legitimate that site is, I would have thought this work was covered by copyright.

      Delete