Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Living in the past?

Books The great office move looms ever closer and I'm faced with some tough decisions - keep or chuck?

Although in some ways I'm looking forward to being (but not to moving) into my new office, it is slightly smaller than my present office, and so I feel an obligation to free myself of some of the cruft that has accumulated in the past 10 years since I last moved. But there is one thing that is bothering me.

On a high shelf lurk all my undergraduate textbooks, my beloved Stanier, my trusty Lehninger, my loathed/hated/feared Strickberger. They are museum pieces, scientifically outdated and cast adrift on a sea of Wikipedia. Although I haven't cracked the covers in more than 20 years, they are part of me, part of a past which, unlike offices, cannot change. But they're heavy and they're in the bloody way.

I can retrieve all the information they contain in seconds from the Internet, but what about all those long nights of studying that they represent? I don't want to lose that past, but I'm not unduly sentimental and I don't want to live in a museum.


So what do I do?



2 comments:

  1. Not unduly sentimental?? Then why do you still have them? And Lehninger and Stanier - snap! You sure you don't have Knight's Molecular Virology?

    I still have mine - and all my 3rd yr Chemistry texts, and in fact my A-level notes on Biology and Chemistry. But then, I doubled the size of my office 10 years ago, so I can accommodate them.

    Truth is...you should toss them. But NOT before photographing them at high res, in situ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have my 1st year Biochemistry textbook (Mathews and van Holde for the record). The Wife uses it as a monitor stand...

    ReplyDelete