Tuesday, October 21, 2014

R for Everyone?

R for Everyone R for Everyone: Advanced Analytics and Graphics (Addison-Wesley Data and Analytics). Jared P. Lander. Addison-Wesley (2014) ISBN 0321888030

I've spent quite a few years searching for the perfect R textbook. Jared Lander's R for Everyone has been a revelation to me - I've finally realized there isn't one. Not that that going to stop me writing my own R textbook over the next few months. So how does that make any sense?

R for Everyone is probably the best R textbook I've found yet. But I still can't recommend it to my first year students because although parts of it are ideal, most of it is not. It's a good book but it makes the classic error of trying to be both an R manual and a statistics textbook - even though that's what I've been looking for for years. If you're an advanced statistician/R power user, you'll be looking for something like Michael J. Crawley's The R Book - but that's way over the top for my purposes.

So it looks like I'll have to proceed with my intention of scraping my R/statistics lecture notes together into a more presentable format and then publishing it online. And it will be the best R textbook for my needs. But it probably won't suit anyone else. Because the perfect R textbook is a mythical beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment